Question about Excercise 46, Section 6.3

Question about Excercise 46, Section 6.3

rwsimons
Dear Professors (and others) - this is a nifty question, which has given me some insights beyond its usefulness as a direct readout of the solution intervals for appropriate inequalities.  I was, however, unable to apply it to exercise 36 of the same section, as I reach an impasse at x(x-1)(x+1) < 0, since one cannot divide by a variable without knowing whether that variable is <0 or >0.  Is there a trick I'm missing (or even something obvious I should be seeing)?  A tip would be great.  Thanks, Bob Simons

Re: Question about Excercise 46, Section 6.3

Hello!

You can always think graphically - you have a cubic with positive leading coefficient where each of the zeros have multiplicity 1 - so you can construct the graph pretty quickly.

It's really not that much different than a sign diagram, however - but the sign diagram is on the polynomial function instead of the exponential function (which is what I think we were getting at!)

Thank you for your careful reading of our text!