Prob 27 Chapter 5.2

rwsimons
This post was updated on .
Having difficulty with the first part, where we are asked to show analytically that x^3+3x+1 is one-to-one.  I've tried various approaches, all based on trying to show that c=d as described in this chapter, included factoring the difference of cubes and applying the quadratic formula.  So far, I am stuck.  Can you give me a hint as to how to proceed?

Update:  I believe I now have a solution, but would like to pass it by you.  However, I am not sure what your preference is for posting answers to questions that are not, themselves, answered in the book.  Please let me know.  Bob

Re: Prob 27 Chapter 5.2

Hello!

You can e-mail it to me at:  carl@stitz-zeager.com

Thanks!