Possible error in Precalculus, Version 3, Corrected Edition (July 4, 2013)

Possible error in Precalculus, Version 3, Corrected Edition (July 4, 2013)

Michael Gainey
I'm just reviewing basic math before a University Physics I course, so maybe I'm wrong, but here's a passage in your book that doesn't seem right:

"If t < 0, we wrap the interval [t, 0] clockwise around the Unit Circle. Since we have defined clockwise rotation as having negative radian measure, the angle determined by this arc has radian measure equal to t." (p. 704, last paragraph).

Shouldn't that be -t?

Michael Gainey

Re: Possible error in Precalculus, Version 3, Corrected Edition (July 4, 2013)

Hello!

We don't need the negative since we are talking about t<0.  So, for example, t=-pi we would wrap the interval [t,0]=[-pi,0] clockwise around the UC identifying t=0 with (1,0).  I hope this helps!

Thanks for reading,

Re: Possible error in Precalculus, Version 3, Corrected Edition (July 4, 2013)

Michael Gainey
If t<0, then t is a negative number.  I was in a sleep-deprived state when I asked that question.  It's embarrassingly obvious now.

Thanks,

Mike

Re: Possible error in Precalculus, Version 3, Corrected Edition (July 4, 2013)

No worries, Mike!

Our book is far from perfect,  so we invite any and all feedback.

Thanks again for giving our book a read.