Earth angular frequency

rounak
College Trigonometry Version pi. Page 708 contains the following text:

 That is, if ω is fixed, points which are farther from the center of rotation need to travel faster to maintain the
same angular frequency since they have farther to travel to make one revolution in one period’s
time.

This is what I understand:
The earth is not a perfect sphere. So radius varies at some points.
But it puzzles me how some points can travel faster than others when they are part of the same object.

Thanks.

Re: Earth angular frequency

Imagine a series of circular tracks with the same center.  Suppose you and some friends take a position on each track and start walking.  If you want all of you to stay in a straight line as you walk, the friends further from the center have to walk faster because they have more distance to cover than your friends closer to the center.  I hope that helps!

Re: Earth angular frequency

rounak
That is a perfect example. Thanks.