Adoption List

12

Adoption List

We're always wondering who's using our book... so if you're using it for your course (as a main text, a supplemental text, or re-mixing it to make your own text!) let us know!

Re: Adoption List

William Pierpoint
I use your textbook for Math 101 at California State University, Channel Islands.  About a third of the students in my class are studying to be elementary teachers, about a third are business majors, and the other third various other liberal art majors.  I teach chapters 1 and 2, 3.1, 4.1-4.2, 5.1-5.2, chapter 6, and 9.1-9.2.  I expand section 9.2 to includes loans: mortgage loans, car loans, and student loans.  Following the discussion on annuities and loans, one student said to me, "I can't believe I actually learned something useful in math class!"

Another teacher is teaching Math 101 next semester and he is going to use your textbook.  This past year I also added online homework using MyOpenMath and that worked out really well.  The new teacher is going to use the online homework also.  A template course for your textbook from a community college in Arizona has been added to MyOpenMath that looks pretty extensive.  They may add my questions to that template course as well.

I have also created a Quick Reference Sheet (or Cheat Sheet) for my course that I let students use on tests.  I'll send that to you and you may want to post it to your website.

Re: Adoption List

Thanks for this information!  We'll be posting your materials under "Ancillaries" this week!

Re: Adoption List

Joe Myers
I'm using your Precalculus textbook in my high school precalculus course.  This coming year will be my second (and a half) year with this book, and I think it's FANTASTIC!

My question:  Is anyone else using this textbook at the high school level?  Admittedly it's quite a challenge for them, but so far I've found that my students have finished the class with a solid and insightful understanding of Algebra and Trigonometry.  Still I can't help but wonder if I might be pushing them a little too hard.

I can't thank you enough for this book, and all your hard work.

By the way, not only am I fully on board with your pedagogy of math, but I also share your cautious skepticism of graphing calculators and utter disdain for video games!

Joe Myers
Imago Dei Academy
Alamogordo, NM

Re: Adoption List

Hi, Joe!

Thanks for the note!

Over the years, we've had folks tell us they use it for home-schooling... and I think a High School in Yellow Springs, OH was going to give it a whirl at some point.  One of the reasons we went with a forum on our new site is to give folks, like yourself, a better way to network.

Hopefully, it works!

Thanks for using our materials!

Re: Adoption List

Rick Scholz
My name is Rick Scholz, and we are also using it for the first year at the high school level. We have an all i-Pad campus, so we were looking for either an i-book or an e-book that we could have students purchase. When I found your book, I was impressed with the quality, and the fact that it's available at no cost is even better!

Rick Scholz
Valley Lutheran High School
Phoenix, AZ

Re: Adoption List

Thanks, Rick!  I hope it works out well for your students!

Re: Adoption List

J. Rana
I'm using it at Marlboro College, as one of the texts for the course "Topics in Algebra, Precalculus, and Trigonometry." Great (!) explanations, and really good examples. Your textbook is surprisingly fun to read.

The class this semester is only four students, so I'm creating small homework assignments for each of the topics covered. If you'd like to see them (they are not surprisingly similar to the exercises in the book), the course website is here: http://cs.marlboro.edu/courses/fall2013/TATP/home There's a menu on the left with pdfs of the assignments and the latex files, too. If anyone wants to use these, please do not post solutions online. (It's hard to find problems online without solutions, which is why I've had to come up with these.)

Thanks again for this textbook -- it's the best one I've found!

Re: Adoption List

Thanks for the info and the link!  We're glad you're having fun with our work. Thanks for giving our materials a try!

Re: Adoption List

William Pierpoint
I see that your textbook has been approved by the American Institute of Mathematics as part of their Open Textbook Initiative.  You can see the approved list of open-source textbooks here: http://www.aimath.org/textbooks/textbooklist.html

Congratulations.

Re: Adoption List

Wow!

Thanks for that news!

Re: Adoption List

Ben Atchison
I have used your texts for a total of seven sections of our College Algebra and Precalculus courses at Framingham State University, beginning in the Summer of 2012.  I plan to use it again this Spring for two section of College Algebra.  I basically cover the same content as was mentioned in William's post above.
I am a proponent of the open source/OER movement, and am also very grateful for your efforts.  If I can be of any further help, please let me know.  I have not yet written a formal review of the text, but would be happy to do so.

Re: Adoption List

Thanks very much for the post, Ben!

It's folks like you and others on this forum that are the real heroes of the OER movement!

Re: Adoption List

MarkR
I'm using the book this semester in one section of our multi-section Precalculus MTH 138 at Missouri State University.

Thanks for the book guys.

Mark Rogers

Re: Adoption List

Lura Milner
I am using the textbook in our private high school for students with twice exceptional diagnoses. I love it. The students are enjoying it too. They (and I) love the humor, the style of writing, the answers to the exercises, the approachability and the fact that they are using a college level textbook in high school. Oh - and they love that it is open source. They think that is awesome. Thanks so much for making this available to us. We appreciate it.

Re: Adoption List

Thanks for the note!

We appreciate hearing from folks who are giving our a book a try!

Re: Adoption List

MikeLandau
Carl ... just resisted on the forum. I am an Adjunct Instructor as well as math tutor at Chesapeake College. Really appreciate the effort you have put into the textbook. One question ... is there a way to get individual chapters and sections in pdf form so that I can construct a OneNote workbook?

Re: Adoption List

William Pierpoint
Mike, I haven't used this PDF editor for a few years, but PDFSAM is a free open source desktop application to split and merge PDF files. You can find it at www.pdfsam.org.

Re: Adoption List

Hi there,

I've used this in the past on Windows:

https://www.pdfill.com/pdf_tools_free.html

On the mac, preview allows one to cut out chapters as needed.

Ian

Re: Adoption List

Ian
I was first exposed to the book in MATH 1153 at Langara College in Vancouver, B.C. To my knowledge it's still in use.
12